While brushing your child’s teeth might seem like a simple task, there are some significant rules to follow. These rules ensure that your child doesn’t have to suffer the consequences of damaging their teeth or gums. Pediatric dentists in Waxhaw believe that you should teach your child proper brushing techniques as a parent.
If you want to help your kid develop proper oral health care routines, they should learn some of the most effective and safe brushing techniques.
Proper Brushing Techniques for Your Kids
If their gums frequently hurt after brushing or if they experience bleeding gums, there’s a significant probability that your kids are using too much pressure when brushing their teeth. Proper brushing techniques can help them improve their oral health and help prevent future gum-related problems. Here are some brushing techniques that you can teach your kids to assist them in correctly brushing their teeth:
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your teeth and use a short brushing movement.
- Never smash the toothbrush when brushing your teeth down.
- You might find it easier to use less pressure if you hold your toothbrush in your hand that’s not your dominant one.
- When using an electric toothbrush, you don’t need to apply much pressure; make sure it makes contact with your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every other month or if the bristles of your toothbrush are frayed. Your teeth won’t be thoroughly cleaned if your toothbrush is worn out.
- Ask your child’s dentist or dental hygienist for advice on how to improve your child’s at-home oral hygiene regimen the next time they receive professional dental care.
Are You Looking for a Pediatric Dentist in Waxhaw?
If you want your child to maintain oral health, teaching them proper oral hygiene early can help them preserve their beautiful teeth. Our pediatric dentist at Young and Polite Children’s Dentistry can help your child develop healthy habits. Get in touch with our team today to learn more about our services.